19 April 2023

Comforting Voices

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the Sunday afternoon session of the October 2000 conference.

Listening to this session of conference was comforting to me during a week of personal upheaval. Just hearing the voices, some familiar, others not, comforted my churned up heart. It didn't matter what the subject, comforting as each was, it was the voices of calm, loving men speaking words of wisdom and encouragement that was most comforting.

President Boyd K. Packer's gravelly voice spoke of much needed truths about the sacredness of our bodies, which would heal so many if his counsel was heeded today. "There is in your body the supernal power to create life. Boys grow up to be men and may become fathers; girls grow up to be women and may become mothers. Natural and good feelings draw men and women together." Not at all what current, strident voices want us to believe. The world needs prophets and apostles more than ever!

I appreciated Elder H. Aldridge Gillespie's talk on The Blessings of Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. It was a good reminder to refrain from worldly pursuits, and to be more active doing the Lord's work on His day. This has always been a struggle in our family because my husband was raised in a different faith, and was not associated with any faith when we met and married. Old habits die hard when there is no understanding of a gospel principle and little commitment to change. It was good to hear another testimony!

Elder Robert C. Oaks' talk on Sharing the Gospel hit a nerve with me. I live a fairly secluded life. I don't "go to work" ever, our children are all grown so I don't have a reason to meet with any other parents. I'm not a member of any organization or group other than church. I've tried to be active in the community, but nothing seems to work for me and I haven't been able to make any friends in our town. Sharing the gospel is difficult when I don't know any non-members. That's not a good excuse though, and I need to find a way that is normal and natural to me. This talk was a good reminder to seek the Spirit to help me.


No comments:

Post a Comment