06 June 2023

What Are Your Talents, Skills, and Gifts?

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the Young Women session of the April 2001 conference.

"Spirituality is learning how to listen to the Spirit and then letting it govern our lives." So said Sister Carol B. Thomas, First Counselor in the Young Women General Presidency. It brought to my mind President Nelson's Let God Prevail in Your Life talk.

I feel frustrated when I hear sisters in the church say they can't do this or that when talking about spirituality and gospel knowledge as if it is gifted to us fully developed. The fruits of the Spirit, and knowledge of the gospel come to us gradually as we work at developing them just as we would any other talent or skill such as playing an instrument, speaking another language, or being proficient at a sport.

I know this to be true because of what I have experienced in my own life. Most recently, at the first of this year I felt an urgency to get back to more serious prayer and scripture study after slacking off for a time. There was no one to blame except myself and letting other things interfere. It was a struggle to remember prayer in the morning; it was hard to know what to say in the evening. (I often feel like I'm whining and begging, something I abhor.) But I kept at it, even if I just knelt by my bed and tried to form words. It got easier. I kept up the habit of writing in my gratitude journal each night. Some days I could hardly think of anything special to be grateful for (I know, how unobservant of me). But I kept the habit going. I made a greater effort to read the scriptures and follow the Come Follow Me lessons. I found a YouTube channel that resonated with my learning style to learn things new to me and understand deeper meanings and connections in the scriptures. General Conference at the beginning of April was wonderful. I concentrated on spiritual preparation rather than the usual lavish physical preparations. I felt that I was making progress moving off a plateau I'd been on for a long while.

Then the crisis came. Our son took his life and we were devastated. That first night was totally sleepless; but as I tossed and turned for hours I felt wave after wave of gratitude. It was an intensely spiritual experience. The habits paid off and I benefited from the "talent" I'd developed. First I felt so grateful for a Savior and Redeemer. Then I'd feel a wave of thanksgiving for the privilege of being James's mother. It was a horrible, joyful night. I believe those feelings were a gift from God after all the preparation of the preceding months. I had practiced gratitude, and I had studied the life of the Savior in greater detail than I ever had, since my missionary days.

Sister Thomas said, "Now that you have learned how the Spirit works and how you as young women can use it to bless your families, it is our prayer that you will let spirituality become you. Heavenly Father is eager to unleash this great power."

I'm grateful for the unleashing of God's power when I needed it most. My hope is that I can be a light to others in their time of need.






No comments:

Post a Comment