15 August 2023

The Lifeline of Prayer

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the Sunday morning session of the April 2002 conference.

Each of us has problems that we cannot solve and weaknesses that we cannot conquer without reaching out through prayer to a higher source of strength. That source is the God of heaven to whom we pray in the name of Jesus Christ. As we pray we should think of our Father in Heaven as possessing all knowledge, understanding, love and compassion.

President James E. Faust began this session with just the right message for me this week.

I don't know why I struggle with prayer so much, but I do. One of the rules I had for our children was "No whining, or begging." When I pray for the same things over and over I feel like I'm whining and begging to my Heavenly Father, and that makes me feel uncomfortable. I've already asked Him; He knows what I need; He'll answer when He deems it right, or not. I don't need to keep asking. Do I? 

President Faust says, "God knows our needs better than we can state them, but He wants us to approach Him in faith to ask for blessings, safety, and comfort."

I love listening to the prayers given in General Conference and in the temple. I have learned a lot from listening carefully. Once, in the temple I heard a most profound way of asking for blessings. After stating the desired blessings the brother said, "Bless us according to our needs, according to our faith, and according to thy will." I have used that phrasing ever since, which helps me feel that no matter what happens it will be according to God's will and for the best.

President Faust said, "An important element of all our prayers might well be to follow the pattern of that prayer in Gethsemane: 'not my will, but thine, be done.' By this, then, we acknowledge our devotion and submission to the overriding purposes of the Lord in our lives."

I know prayer works. The most recent and profound example is just after our son took his life. The first night was horrible: sleepless and tearful. Then word spread, and family and friends, as well as strangers, began praying for us. The second night we enjoyed deep and restful sleep. It was as if we were shielded for a time from all the pain by the prayers for comfort offered.

What a glorious day it will be for each of us when we pray with confidence that 'if we ask anything according to his will, he heareth us.'

My mother had a special gift, a virtual direct line to heaven. When she prayed for something, it happened! I wish I had that "super power". (Or do I sin in my wish?)

I'll keep trying. If I don't give up, eventually I'll get it right.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment