19 September 2023

I Believe I Can, I Knew I Could

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the Priesthood session of the October 2002 conference.


President James E. Faust shared the classic children's story of The Little Engine That Could. I used to read that to our children endlessly. It was a favorite!

Likening the story to the priesthood holders he said, "At times all of us are called upon to stretch ourselves and do more than we think we can." I know we all can relate to that. This earth life is hard, and doesn't get easier with age. It won't get any easier the closer we get to the Savior's return. 

"To get on the right track," he says, "we must honor and sustain those who hold the presiding priesthood keys. We are reminded that many are 'called, but few are chosen.' When are we chosen? We are chosen by the Lord only when we have done our best to move this holy work forward through our consecrated efforts and talents. Our efforts must always be guided by the righteous principles set forth by the Lord in the 121st section of the Doctrine and Covenants: . . ."

Today I thought about all the things I have learned from being a mother, especially of sons who have not followed the gospel path. I have "endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things." 

President Faust teaches, "I hope we can all be like the 'Little Engine That Could.' It wasn't very big, had only been used for switching cars, and had never been over a mountain, but it was willing. . . . Each of us must climb mountains that we have never climbed before."

I have learned that being willing is most of the battle, against the natural man, against the pull of the adversary, and against the ways of the world. When we willingly serve, accept God's will, and press forward with steadfastness in Christ, we are given the strength to get over those mountains.




No comments:

Post a Comment