12 December 2023

The Standard of Truth

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Saturday afternoon session of the October 2003 conference.

Opening up my November 2003 Ensign I was surprised to find that I had written something about Elder Boyd K. Packer's talk and left the pages in the magazine. I didn't date the pages but I suspect that it was early 2004.

"I finally watched the film 'Lord of the Rings'. I liked it so much I bought the books and have been reading them. They are fascinating and so well written. In the preface the author states that he did not write the story as an allegory. He wrote it simply as a story that had welled up from within him.

"I believe the reason many would think it allegorical is because the theme of good versus evil is an eternal one, and many elements of the story are applicable to our day and circumstances. He tells of the shadow which is spreading over the land, which is a tangible evidence of the evil designs and domination of Sauron, the Lord of the Ring, the one who made the ring so he could rule all of Middle Earth. It reminds me of the shadow of immorality that is spreading over the earth.

"When my sister was here in August we talked about her experiences at school and work and how she answers questions about her beliefs. On the topic of abortion she's never had trouble explaining her beliefs and positions; but when the subject of homosexual marriage comes up, she didn't know how to respond so she would try to stay out of any discussion of that topic.

"I thought of her when I heard Elder Packer's talk about standards. What a blessing to have prophets to speak the truth. 

"Hugh B. Brown's famous talk 'Profile of a Prophet' outlines several characteristics distinguishing a true prophet.
C. Any man claiming to be a prophet of God would declare his message without fear and without making any weak concessions to public opinions.
D. If he were speaking for God he could not make concessions although what he taught would be new and contrary to the accepted teachings of the day. A prophet bears witness to what he has seen and heard and seldom tried to make a case by argument. His message and not himself is important.
I. Such a man would denounce wickedness fearlessly. He would generally be rejected or persecuted by the people of his time, but later generations, the descendants of his persecutors, would build monuments in his honor. 

Elder Packer said, "We do not set the Standards, but we are commanded to teach them and maintain them. . . . However out of step we may seem, however much the standards are belittled, however much others yield, we will not yield, we cannot yield."

I think this next paragraph is as relevant today as when Elder Packer said it in Conference. 
Now words can be used as weapons against you. If they throw the word diversity at you, grab hold of it and say, "I am already diverse, and I intend to stay diverse." If the word is tolerance, grab that one too, saying, "I expect you to be tolerant of my lifestyle--obedience, integrity, abstinence, repentance." If the word is choice, tell them you choose good, old-fashioned morality, You choose to be a worthy husband or wife, a worthy parent.

I love the strength of his testimony! Some thought him too harsh, but he was doing exactly what an apostle is supposed to do--preach truth! 
I can tell how closely I'm aligned with the prophets and apostles by what I feel when they speak. If their subject brings feelings of contentment and peace I know I doing well in that area. If I start to squirm and feel uncomfortable I know I'd better pay attention and do some repenting.

 


Marilyn at light-in-leaves also blogs weekly about General Conference.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment