20 August 2024

The First Generation

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Saturday morning session of the October 2006 conference.

Once when my companion and I invited a person we were teaching to be baptized the person said, "Oh, I can't join the church. I don't have any pioneer ancestors." To which I answered, "I don't either. My Grandpa Hansen joined in 1905 in Norway, and immigrated to Utah the next year. He crossed the plains on the train! And I'm so grateful that he did. Your grandchildren will be grateful to you and honor you for being the first in your family to join the Lord's church, just as I am so thankful for my Grandpa."

Elder Paul B. Pieper spoke of and to those who are the first in their family to join the church. "You add great strength to the Church when you use your testimony, talents, abilities, and energy to build the kingdom in your wards and branches. . . . You are an example to your family of a true disciple of Jesus Christ."

My husband is the first in his family to join the church. He has struggled at times to stay active and faithful. Elder Pieper's advice is helpful, "Do not be discouraged if you make a mistake. Repenting and continuing to press forward are perhaps the most important patterns to develop in the first generation. Be patient and move forward in obedience." That counsel is pertinent to all of us. Further, he says, "Be faithful, serve your fellowman, bless your family, and make proper choices."

The earliest member of the church that I can find in my family tree is a great-great grandmother named Charlotte Haynes who joined the church in 1865 in England. I'm eternally grateful for her, for my great-great grandfather James Campbell who joined in 1875 in Scotland, for great grandma Anne Marie Mathiasen, baptized in 1879 in Denmark, and Grandpa Conrad Hansen baptized 10 February 1905 in the Arctic Ocean off the coast of Norway. They were all the first generations of my ancestors, I am the fifth generation.


No comments:

Post a Comment