10 October 2023

Come to Zion!

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the Sunday afternoon session of the October 2002 conference.

This talk resonated with me because I'm striving to use my time more wisely, and I long for the day of Zion.

Bishop Keith B. McMullin, Second Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric spoke of a "challenge that seems universal: having enough time to do everything that needs doing." He said, "The challenge is daunting because time is fixed; man can neither lengthen out the day nor extend the year."

I remember a mother of a large family saying that when she gets to be a god and creates a world, she's going to organize it with eight days in a week. On the night of the seventh day all children under the age of 18 go to sleep and sleep through the eighth day so that parents can get things done and have some time to themselves. She said this to me before I was a parent so I didn't understand her longing. After I became one I totally understood! Alas, we can't do that here and have to manage our time wisely.

Bishop McMullin said, "As the world grapples with more efficient ways of managing time, it lures us into more and more earthly pursuits. But life is not a struggle with time--it is a struggle between good and evil. . . . Use the gospel plan to set proper priorities."

I feel a bit distraught when I hear sisters in Relief Society talk about not having enough time to minister or study the gospel or hold a calling or attend functions, then hear the same women talk of the latest TV show, or shopping, or pursuing more in their career. Sounds judgmental, but I wonder if their priorities are mixed up. We each get the same twenty-four hours in a day, how we chose to use those hours reveals what we value most.

Bishop McMullin said, "The establishment of Zion should be the aim of every member of this Church. It can be safely said: As we seek with all our hearts to bring forth and establish Zion, the vexations of too little time will disappear." He went on to say, "Zion is established and flourishes because of the God-inspired lives and labors of its citizens. Zion comes not as a gift but because virtuous covenant people are drawn together and build it. President Spencer W. Kimball observed, 'As we sing together, "Come to Zion," we mean . . . come to the ward, the branch, the mission, the stake, and give assistance to build up Zion."'

I liked what Elder Gong said in the most recent conference, "For some time I have felt that, in many places in the Church, a few more ward activities, of course planned and implemented with gospel purpose, could knit us together with even greater belonging and unity." That sounds like Zion building to me.

Bishop McMullin spoke of four doctrinal principles that help us build Zion: love, work, self-reliance, and consecration. "These principles . . . are God given. Those who embrace them and govern themselves accordingly become pure in heart. Righteous unity is the hallmark of their society. Their peace and harmony become an ensign to the nations. . . . The kingdom of God is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and will become Zion in all her beauty." 

I try to do my part as best I can. I believe Zion will come about as we minister to and encourage each other in living our covenants more fully. No one can achieve Zion alone, it is a group effort. And I believe that it will grow organically rather than by assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment