17 October 2023

Here Am I, Send Me

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the General Relief Society session of the October 2002 conference.

In April 2005 I had the privilege of being a presenter at BYU Women's Conference. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I've always wished I could do it again and again. On the day of the conference as I made my way toward the Marriot Center in Provo, I was greeted by Sister Bonnie Parkin, Relief Society General President, who gathered me into her arms for a big hug and said, "We're so glad you're here with us!" I felt I'd died and gone to heaven. She didn't know me, but her expression of love was so warm and genuine that it gave me just the boost I needed.

Sister Parkin and her counselors were sustained in April 2002 and this is their first General Relief Society meeting in October 2002. They chose the theme "Here Am I, Send Me" and each spoke in different ways on that subject. I'm just going to share the quotes that touched me the most.

Sister Parkin: 
  • Making covenants is the expression of a willing heart; keeping covenants, the expression of a faithful heart.
  • . . . when we obey the prophet's guidance, we are keeping a covenant.
  • Women of covenant stand firm when evil is called good and good is called evil. Whether it be in the college classroom, around the water cooler, or watching TV's latest "experts", remembering our covenants keeps us from being led astray.
  • Sisters, the Lord needs women who will teach children to work and learn and serve and believe.
  • The spiritual integrity to keep our covenants comes from consistency in scripture study, prayer, service, and sacrifice.

Sister Kathleen H. Hughes, First Counselor
  • . . . modesty is a battle worth fighting because it so often affects more serious moral issues.
  • The theme of this conference is "Here am I, send me." The words are a promise to the Lord and an expression of our willingness to serve. If we keep our covenants, the promises we receive in return are great.
Sister Anne C. Pingree, Second Counselor
  • We, as covenant women, have consecrated ourselves to the cause of Christ through our baptismal and temple covenants. We can alter the face of the earth one family and one home at a time through charity, our small and simple acts of pure love.
  • Little by little our charitable acts change our natures, define our characters, and ultimately make us women with the courage to say to the Lord, "Here am I; send me."
  • Dear sisters, what you are doing with your families matters! It matters so very, very much.
  • Beloved Relief Society sisters, I know that wherever we live, in whatever circumstances we find ourselves, we, as covenant women, united in righteousness, can alter the face of the earth.
President James E. Faust, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, was the concluding speaker. He spoke for almost twenty-four minutes! It was a powerful address.
  • Sisters, whatever your circumstances, you all need to have oil in your lamps. This means being prepared.
  • Quoting President Spencer W. Kimball, ". . . spiritual preparedness cannot be shared in an instant. . . . In our lives the oil of preparedness is accumulated drop by drop in righteous living. Attendance at sacrament meetings adds oil to our lamps, drop by drop over the years. Fasting, family prayer, home teaching, control of bodily appetites, preaching the gospel, studying the scriptures--each act of dedication and obedience is a drop added to our store. Deeds of kindness, payment of offerings and tithes, chaste thoughts and actions, marriage in the covenant for eternity--these too, contribute importantly to the oil with which we can at midnight refuel our exhausted lamps."
  • My testimony, based upon 59 years of family life, is that my Ruth's participation in Relief Society has brought enriched spirituality and harmony to our home. This divinely inspired organization has not only blessed her life but also the lives of each of our family members. Involvement in Relief Society can help you replenish the oil in your lamps. It can provide for you much of the stability and stamina you will need as you weather the storms of life and journey through mortality.
(President Faust's last statement is the ideal that I'd love to see return to the Relief Society organization. We've lost much of the education and service that used to be the standard for improving women's lives and serving in the world.)

No comments:

Post a Comment