24 October 2023

Blessed by Living Waters

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the Saturday morning session of the April 2003 conference.

Throughout the fall of 2022 I had the nagging feeling that I needed to establish a better habit of daily gospel study. I put it off until the new year when I determined that I would keep up with the Come Follow Me chapters and begin reading The Book of Mormon again, as well as keep up with the General Conference Odyssey and study the current conference talks. Ambitious, I know. But I felt I needed to up my game, as the saying goes. 

I enjoyed studying the life and ministry of the Savior in the first part of the New Testament. I found a YouTube channel that gives weekly insights to the Come Follow Me lessons which helped me grow a deeper love for Jesus Christ. Through the Book of Mormon I recalled that all families have challenges. Through General Conference talks I felt instructed and nourished.

When tragedy struck our family in April I clung to my testimony of Jesus Christ, so recently nourished and strengthened by my daily habit of gospel study. 

Sister Kathleen H. Hughes, First Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency, said, "Living water heals. It nourishes and sustains. It brings peace and joy." That sentence alone struck me with great force. Because I had acted on a prompting, I could weather the storm of losing a precious son. I was partaking of the living water, and the bread of life daily.

Sister Hughes said, "There is cause to be concerned, but there is greater reason to be at peace."

Yes, yes, there is. We have a Savior, a Redeemer, a Friend and Brother, a Spiritual Father, all in the person of Jesus Christ, whose Atoning Sacrifice will make all things right in the end. Somehow. 

The Samaritan woman looked into the face of Christ, listened to His voice, and recognized Him at a time when most others rejected all He taught. We know Him too, or we can, if we allow His healing power, His nourishing strength, His peace and joy, to flow through us like "a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

I'm so grateful for daily manna to feed my soul.  

No comments:

Post a Comment