09 January 2024

Choosing the Good Part

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the General Relief Society session of the October 2003 conference.

During a week of feeling discouraged it was lovely to read talks that fed my soul and helped to overcome those negative feelings.

The Relief Society General Presidency chose their theme from the story of Mary and Martha found in Luke 10:38-42. 

Sister Bonnie D. Parkin said, "The one thing that is needful is to choose eternal life. We choose daily. As we seek, listen, and follow the Lord, we are encircled in the arms of His love--a love that is pure. . . . Charity is our love for the Lord, shown through our acts of service, patience, compassion, and understanding for one another. . . . I invite you to not only love each other more but love each other better. . . . I've learned that the best way to reclaim charity is to uncumber myself and simply love and serve the Lord. How do we do that? We start each day kneeling in prayer to our Father in Heaven, we hear His words through daily scripture study, and we follow the guidance we receive. We put Christ first, restoring charity's circular love. 'We love him, because he first loved us.' This is the reciprocating cycle of charity. Sisters, 'charity never faileth.'"

Lately, because of seeing the film The Boys in the Boat, and rereading the book from which it was made, I have felt a great desire to be part of something. As I listened to the talks of this session of conference I realized that what I really want is for Relief Society to fulfill those longings. When I was young watching my grandmother, mother and older sister participate in Relief Society I couldn't wait to be part of it myself. But things changed while I was serving a mission, the block schedule of Sunday meetings came into being and I never got the chance to be part of the Relief Society that I had observed in my youth. More disappointingly is that it seems to have devolved into just another Sunday school class twice a month where we have tepid book review style lessons of general conference talks. I used to believe what the general leaders said about Relief Society being a force for good in the world. I suppose it is in some places, but I've not experienced it where I've lived, especially in the past dozen years in tiny branches.

Yes, I'm complaining, because I truly want to be on a team that does something important, and ongoing in the world. I can do things by myself, but that doesn't fulfill my longings for sisterhood, camaraderie, or synergy. I've also learned by hurtful experiences that neither suggestions nor initiative are welcomed by some RS presidents.

Me and my best girlfriend, my daughter



No comments:

Post a Comment