02 January 2024

Reinforce Your Testimony - Study General Conference Talks

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Sunday afternoon session of the October 2003 conference.

I don't have Marilyn's, at light-in-leaves, eloquence and style when writing these posts; it's something I'm going to work on this year. I find that reading these general conference talks reinforces my testimony of what I know to be true and encourages me that I'm on the right path. Occasionally, a nugget of new knowledge or understanding comes along and I think, Yes! Why didn't I think of that? This post is going to share a little of each talk in this session.

Elder L. Tom Perry - "Revelation, however is a much broader term. While inspiration can properly be considered as revelation, revelation includes vision, dreams, the spoken word, or other spiritual manifestations." I remember the best part of being a Relief Society president was the almost daily revelation that I received to lead the sisters. I rather miss that!

Elder Henry B. Eyring - He spoke of the three witnesses of the Book of Mormon never losing their testimony of the truthfulness of what they experienced, even though they left the church. "They did some simple things to keep that testimony bright and vibrant. We can teach those we love to do those same things. . . . #1 Teach them to pray to the Father in faith in the name of Jesus Christ. . . . We can teach those we love to pray with the intent to obey. #2 Teach them to ponder the scriptures every day with faith that they will be taught by the Spirit. . . . You and those you love will receive the word of God by obeying it. . . . #3 Teach them to sacrifice to build up the kingdom of God. . . . #4 Teach them to love others by serving them. I'm still working on all these things myself. I pray that Heavenly Father will make up for my failures to properly teach all this to my children.

Elder William W. Parmley - "Our love for the Savior must be accompanied by action: 'If ye love me, keep my commandments' (John 14:15)." It's the 'faith without works is dead' argument.

Elder Quentin L. Cook - "It is not easy to be a Latter-day Saint. It was not meant to be easy. The ultimate goal of living in the presence of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, is a privilege almost beyond comprehension. . . . May I suggest three questions that will allow for a self-assessment. First, is the way we live consistent with what we believe, and would our friends and associates recognize, . . . that we have separated ourselves from worldly evils? Second, are worldly pleasures, profits, and similar pursuits distracting us from following, worshipping, and serving the Savior in our daily lives? Third, in order to serve God and be holy, are we making sacrifices consistent with our covenants?" These questions came at the right time as I ponder what I want to accomplish in the new year.

Bishop Richard C. Edgley - "Humility and gratitude are truly the twin characteristics of happiness. . . . It matters not who we are or how lofty our credentials appear. Humility and submissiveness to the Lord, coupled with a grateful heart, are our strength and our hope."

Elder Neal A. Maxwell - "God has no distracting hobbies off somewhere in the universe. We are at the very center of His concerns and purpose. . . . A further reality of our being with God 'in the beginning' means that you have been you for a long time. . . . An omnicompetent God leaves all mortal free to choose, but how grateful we should be that God chose long, long ago to rescue and to resurrect all His children through the Atonement of His Son. . . . How trascendingly special, therefore, that the the revelations of the Restoration confirm this cosmic fact: 'God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son' (John 3:16)." Elder Maxwell's eloquence and vivid metaphors make his talks so meaningful and memorable.

President Gordon B. Hinckley - "It is truly a wonderful thing to step out of the world, as it were, and set aside two days to reflect on things divine. We are all so busy with our mundane pursuits which pull us this way and that. We all need, the whole world needs, the opportunity to meditate and reflect on the things of God and to listen to words that inspire and help." I plan to share this quote with the sisters to whom I minister before the next conference. It's such a great reminder of why we take time for general conference.



No comments:

Post a Comment