05 February 2014

I'm not cheating, Really!

I'm participating in the BYU-I Pathway program, which is an amazing way for adults to begin or continue college. I won't take time to explain it all, since you can go see for yourself at the link.

I had to confess to my Book of Mormon teacher that I feel like I'm cheating because I teach Seminary (religion classes for high school age) and this year is Book of Mormon so I pretty much know what's what for each lesson. Nice easy A for me this time.

This program is amazing and I'm enjoying it; mostly, until this week. The lesson this week in Life Skills is on career planning. I got a laugh out of TopDad when I explained that we have to answer questions about our current career (if we are in one), one of which is "What would be the benefits of a career change?" and I said "I could get paid in money!"

Okay, so I was trying to be funny. The questions I actually have to answer are almost as irrelevant. I live in a town of about 2,100, the nearest large city is an hour and a half either west or east of me. There aren't "careers" here, there are jobs. Well, I guess if you were interested in banking you could start at one bank and then move to the other if the pay was better or maybe the hours or benefits. And you could work at the Subway, before moving over to the convenience store. There is a nice nursing home and a medical clinic, hey, there's even a nice hospital here. There's one dentist, two optometrists see patients one day a week here; there's a couple of law offices; and a hearing aid place, two pharmacies, and a library, as well as a post office. There are a few stores, and a couple of gas stations; a whole bunch of mechanics, a car dealership, and a couple of farm equipment dealers, as well as lots of other farm related businesses. There are two bars, three restaurants, a movie rental place, some antique shops, and Chuck's Bargain Barn.

So, the question "Are there currently positions available in your desired career within an acceptable commuting distance from your home or will you need to relocate in order to be employed in this field?" is difficult to answer. Or not. No there aren't positions available, but no I'm not going to relocate because my husband's job is here and his job is more important than any I'll get.

Can we just skip this lesson?

I'm in my desired career so I'm not going to get a job (I'd be almost retirement age before I finish school) I just want the piece of paper that says I'm educated.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the Pathways program! It started recently in our area, too, and has had a huge reception here. I have my "piece of paper" already, but I think Pathways is an excellent opportunity for people of all ages.

    ReplyDelete