27 March 2012

There is a Balm in Gilead

After the difficulties of the past week I was grateful for Monday morning and the quiet after everyone left for the day. While I was folding some bedding that needed to be put away I felt impressed to sing hymns, so I began with There is Sunshine in My Soul Today, followed by Count Your Blessings and We Are Sowing. I felt lighter and stronger as I finished my task. Coming down stairs I put on three CD's of hymns and enjoyed the spirit they brought into my home as I went about my work.

I love music! I sang my first solo in church when I was about eight. It was for Mother's Day and I sang a song from the old green children's song book called My Grandmother's Garden. When I was almost 14 I was called to be the Primary chorister (in the olden days when Primary was on a weekday afternoon). I've led the music in Primary, Sunday School, Relief Society, Sacrament Meeting, and several ward choirs. It is one of my most cherished callings. As a teenager I would put on Mormon Tabernacle Choir albums (the old-fashioned LP's) and "direct" the choir as they sang. I have a secret desire to direct them in real life. Can you imagine what a thrill that would be?!!

Music calms my soul and invites the spirit, which is what I needed yesterday. Today as we read our chapter of the Book of Mormon I enjoyed more balm as we read these verses:
For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. . . And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins. . . And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.    (2 Nephi 25:23,26,29) 
I'm so looking forward to the refreshment of General Conference this weekend. And then to the return of our missionary son from Argentina on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment