22 November 2022

A Prophet's Testimony

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the Sunday morning session of the April 1999 conference.

As a child I never liked when General Conference and Easter occurred on the same Sunday. Rather like Christmas on a Sunday. But as an adult I've come to appreciate the spirituality of celebrating a big holiday on a holy day. It seems totally appropriate to gather together and worship our Savior on the days of His most important events, birth and resurrection.

On this Easter morning, then current prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley shared his fervent witness and testimony in a beautiful way. He began by expressing gratitude.
It it plainly evident that the gospel, when lived, makes people better than they otherwise would be. . . . How deeply grateful I am for the devotion and the loyalty of the members of the Church throughout the earth who respond to every call, no matter the inconvenience, no matter what comfort they must forgo.
 
 And he continues, "But of all the things for which I feel grateful, I am most grateful this Easter morning for the gift of my Lord and my Redeemer. This is Easter, when, with all of Christendom, we commemorate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ."

I can't think of anything more important or more impressive than the fact that Jesus Christ overcame death and rose again. Paul wrote to the Corinthians about this, "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept." (1 Cor. 15:19-20) In the margin of my scriptures I wrote, 'Like the hopeless masses mourning their losses on 9/11/01.' I vividly remember feeling such sorrow for those who didn't know that they would see their loved ones again, that this life is not the end.

Another thought I had as I listened to President Hinckley was about those who claim that we are not Christians. They would benefit from listening to this talk, as there is no plainer declaration of our discipleship than one from a prophet who knows the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thanks be to the Almighty. His glorified Son broke the bonds of death, the greatest of all victories. As Paul declared, 'For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.' (1 Cor. 15:22)
He is our triumphant Lord. He is our Redeemer, who atoned for our sins. Through His redeeming sacrifice all men shall rise from the grave. He has opened the way whereby we may gain not only immortality but also eternal life.
As an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, I bear witness and testimony of these things this Easter day. I speak in solemnity and reverence and gratitude, . . . 
 
At the end of the talk my final thought was, "I really miss President Hinckley!" Just like I miss my Grandpa Joe, and my Nana Rose. I'm grateful I'll be able to meet them again. I'm so thankful that there is purpose to this life and that we all will live again! Death is not the end of our existence. Jesus Christ won the victory over the grave. As we approach the season of celebrating His birth it is wise to remember that without the completion of His mission, to atone for our sins and rise from the grave, His birth would have been just another of the billions of anonymous babies born on this earth. But, praise God, He successfully completed His mission and did all that His Father asked of Him. That is truly the best gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment