30 January 2024

Choices

This post is part of the General Conference Odyssey. This week covers the Priesthood session of the April 2004 conference.

President Monson called the priesthood holders to have and exhibit more courage. He gave the memorable one-liner, "Decisions do determine destiny."

President Faust gave a whole talk about how "Tomorrow's blessings and opportunities depend on the choices we make today."

Years ago as a young adult I made a choice that has affected my life ever since. No matter how much or how thoroughly I repent of that sinful choice I am followed by the consequences of it. At times it has been so discouraging. President Faust said, "The choices we make, however, determine to a large extent our happiness or our unhappiness, because we have to live with the consequences of our choices." 

Some of our important choices have a time line. If we delay a decision, the opportunity is gone forever. Sometimes our doubts keep us from making a choice that involves change. Thus an opportunity may be missed.

Other choices I made early in life have also had a detrimental effect on my life. They weren't sinful choices, just uninformed or unevaluated choices. I often wish I'd had better guidance and information on which to base my choices. I've tried hard to not perpetuate that mistake in the lives of my children. I've worked to help them see all angles and outcomes of significant choices they face.

A choice involves making a conscious decision. To make an intelligent decision we need to evaluate all available facts on both sides of an issue. But that isn't enough. Making correct decisions involves prayer and inspiration.

President Faust was such a wise man and apostle. He had a great sense of humor too. But he wasn't kidding around when he said, "As we look to the future, we are going to need to be stronger and more responsible for our choices in a world where people 'call evil good, and good evil.' We do not choose wisely if we use our agency in opposition to God's will or to priesthood counsel." No, he wasn't joking, we was prophetic.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment