31 January 2023

The Gift of the Holy Ghost

This post is part of the General Conference OdysseyThis week covers the Saturday morning session of the April 2000 conference.

Joseph Smith was asked, "How does your religion differ from other religions?" He replied, "All other considerations are contained in the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Elder Boyd K. Packer's talk entitled The Cloven Tongues of Fire addresses this subject and contains some wonderful counsel and encouragement that is relevant to our day. (Of course it is, he was a prophet, seer, and revalator!)

He explains that this gift ". . . is awakened with prayer and cultivated 'by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel.' It can be smothered through transgression and neglect. And soon we learn that the tempter--the adversary--uses those same channels of the mind and heart to inspire us to evil, to laziness, to contention, even to acts of darkness. He can take over our thoughts and lead us to mischief. But each of us has agency; ever and always light presides over darkness."

This was rather convicting to me as I read it. I am prone to laziness, especially in the depths of the dark, bitter cold winter. And I seem to neglect prayer when I'm alone, which is much of the time. So, being reminded that this comes from Satan, I can repent and renew my efforts to be more active spiritually, if not physically, during this difficult (for me) season.

I love the phrase ". . . ever and always light presides over darkness." I'm a creature of light, I crave it and struggle through the winter when the days are so short and too many are overcast and dreary. My spirit tends to be as dark as the days. What would happen if I nurtured my spirit with more spiritual light and invited the Holy Ghost to be my constant companion? Perhaps I could more gracefully endure the winters. I'm willing to try.

Elder Packer also said, "We live in troubled times--very troubled times. We hope, we pray, for better days. But that is not to be. The prophecies tell us that. We will not as a people, as families, or as individuals be exempt from the trials to come. No one will be spared the trials common to home and family, work, disappointment, grief, health, aging, ultimately death." Well, yes, thanks for that grim reminder, Elder Packer. 

But he goes on to say, "We need not live in fear of the future. We have every reason to rejoice and little reason to fear. If we follow the promptings of the Spirit, we will be safe, whatever the future holds. We will be shown what to do." 

I try, but it is often so hard to not be fearful, or at least discouraged. Perhaps the real reason it is hard is revealed in what he says next, "I fear this supernal gift is being obscured by programs and activities and schedules and so many meetings. There are so many places to go, so many things to do in this noisy world. We can be too busy to pay attention to the Spirit. The voice of the Spirit is a still, small voice--a voice that is felt rather than heard. It is a spiritual voice that comes into the mind as a thought put into your heart."

I stopped to think about the tempo of my life. And the choices I make. Am I crowding out the Spirit? Am I listening and feeling? There are changes I need to make, so I made a list and will work on those things during February to see if I can more finely tune my mind and heart to receiving the comfort and guidance I need and want from the Holy Ghost.

Near the end of his talk, Elder Packer said, "Despite opposition, the Church will flourish; and despite persecution, it will grow." That's encouraging! We have to remember that there will not be another period of general apostasy; the gift of the Holy Ghost, and the priesthood with all its powers and blessings, will never be taken from the world. We can press forward with steadfastness in Christ!

We live in terrible and exciting times. I often wonder if the Savior will return in my lifetime, or will it be in my children's or grandchildren's. As Babylon seems to grow in strength and power it appears that we are fighting a losing battle. But we're not and we can gird up our loins and fresh courage take, because, truly, our God will never forsake us. 

Listening to, and reading the General Conference talks bolsters my courage to face the trials of the last days, and helps me remember my blessings. 

Rozy with son, Paul, and grandson, Conrad




No comments:

Post a Comment